Corporate Speaking Challenge 2015
‘Everything needs to change, so that everything can stay the same.’
(Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa)
This year’s Corporate Speaking Challenge gained its influence from Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, an Italian writer, who was known for his only novel Il Gattopardo, translated as The Leopard.
Now in its 6th year, the College of Public Speaking Corporate Speaking Challenge is an innovative public speaking competition designed to promote and encourage communication excellence in the business world. Bringing together some of the best speakers across the country, the Corporate Speaking Challenge is designed to showcase a high standard of public speaking, an exciting event that enables speakers to demonstrate their public speaking talents.
The public speaking competition is a marvellous opportunity for individuals to develop themselves in a friendly, supportive and pressurized environment; it’s a development opportunity for both contestants and companies alike.
|Mintel Group Ltd
11 Pilgrim Street
|20th & 27th October 2015||6.30pm|
|17th November 2015||7-9.30pm|
What is the Judging Panel Looking for?
The judges are looking for confidence and credibility as a speaker, clarity in the message, clear structure and engaging content.
- Judges will look at the expression and delivery of the speech so ensure the speech has a clear purpose – persuade, inform, inspire and entertain.
- First impressions are important, the audience and judging panel will be at their most attentive at the beginning of the speech, so ensure you grab their attention from the start, similar emphasis should also be put on the conclusion of the speech, linking back to the opening of the speech.
- Your verbal skills are paramount, speak clearly, slowly and loudly, ensure the audience and judging panel can hear every single word, vary your pitch and tone of voice to keep the audience and judging panel alert.
- Nonverbal skills are also important. Be conscious of your body language and (purposely) only use gestures that support and enhance your speech.
- Confidence and style are at the core of effective expression and delivery, and vital in any professional context so try to project this during your speech.
The judges are looking for a strong message combined with excellent delivery skills. Please - no acting, performing, magic tricks or monologues. Please ensure that your content and delivery would be appropriate for a boardroom style meeting. Please ensure that the majority of the speech is original.
For more guidance on public speaking read our public speaking tips here.
First place winner will be awarded with a £100 Amazon voucher, a framed certificate and a Corporate Speaking Challenge trophy to retain for a year. 2nd place will be awarded with a £50 Amazon voucher and third place will be awarded with a £25 Amazon voucher.
Registrations are now closed for the Corporate Speaking Challenge.
If you would like to improve your public speaking skills we have a variety of workshops to help you prepare for the Corporate Speaking Challenge.
Our fear of public course includes interactive exercises and confidence building activities. The course will identify the issues around fear and public speaking and face each of these with questions, identifying their cause and where possible eradicating them. The aim is to reframe your issues of loss of confidence, anxiety and fear.
Our advanced public speaking course is ideal for those that already have an acceptable level of public speaking ability but are looking to build upon this and improve their communication skills. The course is primarily focused on the structure of giving a speech, enthusiasm, influence and persuasion, creating a rapport with an audience and developing a deeper grasp of rhetorical impact.
Our storytelling workshop is designed for those looking to discover where to find the perfect story to reinforce your key messages. The course will examine how stories, pictures and metaphors work and why they work, examining when to use them and who they appeal to. The course will provide you with expert story telling techniques alongside overcoming public speaking issues and concerns.